Skip to main content

Military Service and Immigration

Family Law & Military Families

This article tells you about ways members of the military and their families may be able to gain U.S. Citizenship. This article was written by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service. 

All content below reproduced from the USCIS resource.

Members and certain veterans of the U.S. armed forces may be eligible for naturalization through their military service under Section 328 or 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Additionally, the INA provides for posthumous naturalization under section 329A.​

Citizenship for Military Members: General Requirements and Exceptions

Qualifying military service is generally in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and certain components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve. The general requirements for naturalization may be diminished or waived for qualifying service member.

Click below for the full guide for Military Members

Click Here

Citizenship for Spouses and Children of Military Members

Spouses of U.S. citizen members of the U.S. armed forces (service members) may be eligible for expedited or overseas naturalization.

Children of service members may be eligible for overseas naturalization.

Click below for the full guide for Spouses and Children of Military Members

Click Here

Related Articles